Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Delpit Post-Effective Communication

Successful communication is an essential component in order for learning to take place. There must be active and ongoing communication between the student and teacher if learning is to occur. How well the teacher is in her ability to effectively communicate will build the foundation of her relationships with her students. The article, The Silenced Dialogue, made reference to the differences in communication styles between white teachers with white students and those of color. White teachers, according to the article, take on a non-authoritarian approach, an almost indirect request style when asking children to complete a certain task. For white students, the teacher's intentions are understood, while the colored children may misinterpret the "request" as a question/option and may not abide. Instead of stating a demand of exactly what we expect the students to do, us, white teachers, are said to offer options, which deem us as less in control. This lessens the authority we have. "When deemphasizing power, there is a move toward indirect communication," Delpit stated. Because of this communication gap, colored children have a tough time managing what it is they are expected to do. "They do what I say; if you just tell them what to do, they'll do it. I tell them at home that they have to listen to what you say," responds a parent in Delpit's article. This is what a parent spoke in regards to the teacher's comments on their child's behavior in the classroom, not abiding by the rules or acting accordingly. "Black children expect an authority figure to act with authority." To earn the respect of these students, the teacher must learn all she can about what each culture expects and act/teach accordingly. This got me thinking a lot about the way I, myself, may have talked to my students. Am I direct and explicit enough for an understanding or new learning to take place? This not only applies to teaching colored children, but raises my awareness in terms of educating any child with a special need. Explicit, direct, and clear instruction is indeed needed in some situations. Other times, it is a teacher's responsibility and best practice to differentiate instruction so that each individual need of a child is attended to and each student is given the tools/teaching styles needed to ensure effective learning takes place. When, in the future, I teach children of color and of every other background, I will recall how to effectively communicate with them and their families and remain culturally aware and empathetic.

1 comment:

  1. This article also made me think about the way I communicate with students. It has made me more aware of the way I phrase statements so that my expectations are clear. I have also been listening more carefully to the way other teacher's are communicating with students.

    ReplyDelete