Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Blog-Helpful Hyperlinks

I was trying to find information on the web regarding how to break children from their "silence" for whatever preexisting reasons they may have for not wanting to be heard. I came across a great resource that uses Art Therapy for children from violent homes to get children to express their feelings. I read the foreword to the book and it contained some interesting tips to use to get children to talk. Although this book discusses children who come from violent homes, I think some of the strategies presented may be helpful and can be adapted for various situations (i.e. the children who were silenced in the most recent reading assignments).

Here is another reference that uses Art Therapy to create expression in children who do not want to talk. It is by their innate nature to express themselves more creatively.

This website featured articles, one of which discussed children who are victims of sexual abuse. One of the quotes I found noteworthy about integrating art therapy was, "Art is a non-threatening way to visually communicate anything that is too painful to put into words." While this article focused on children victim to sexual abuse, I think this type of therapy is a way to get through the glass and allow a children to open up in a way that feels safe to them. As educators we must learn how to interpret and use effective tools for communication with children, especially in special education, even if the method does not involve actual verbal communication.

After reviewing the information that exists about Art Therapy, I think it would be a great teaching method to integrate in every classroom. It will specifically reach out to the students who are shy, ashamed, or unwilling to speak what is on their mind. If we can effectively get all students to communicate in one way or another, we will break down the walls and barriers that exist and help these children out of their "silence."

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jill,
    The art links are wonderful resources, thankyou! Another way for children to express their feeelings is through drama therapy. I took a workshop a few years ago in DC and loved it! I know they have a school in New York where people can get there degree in drama therapy. I recieve emails once a month on where the workshops are held. If you are interested let me know and I will send you the information. See you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great resources. Art therapy could be a great way for some children to share their feelings, especially when they have trouble verbally communicating their thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jill,


    Many thanks for the kind comments you posted on my blog. I also find your blog postings engaging and am in awe of the way you can synthesize the articles and make me think about issues in different ways. You also have a real knack of finding meaningful hyperlinks.

    Back to my response about your current posting. Your reflections highlight the value of Art Therapy not just for traumatized children but for all students. In my opinion, Art Therapy seems to be a better use of Art time than making turkeys for Thanksgiving!!!

    I have seen evidence of 2 child counselors using Art Therapy and it appears to be very beneficial. Just like your first hyperlinked article suggests, the students can express their feelings in a safe way and the art provides an opportunity for the counselor/therapist to begin a discussion and in turn help the child.

    ReplyDelete